Reorganizing the Pantry - Healthy Swaps

Merry Christmas! Did you know that the traditional Twelve Days of Christmas actually begin on Christmas day? 

I finally managed to re-organize our dry goods shelf. I had been using my mom’s Tupperware containers (from when she was first married) to store our flour and sugar and a variety of plastic peanut butter jars for the smaller quantity items. Yes, I know, after ALL the research that tells us how bad microplastics are, and on top of that, how bad old plastic can be, I was still using plastic containers! I am dating myself here, but I remember when my grandparents’ entire collection of storage containers consisted of yellow margarine tubs. “Waste not, want not” was a very real motto of those who grew up in the Great Depression. I guess that idea was passed down, because I tend to reuse containers and I find it hard to throw things away. I always have this niggling thought in the back of my mind that a container can be used for SOMETHING. Nevertheless, I decided it was well past time for the old, potentially toxic containers to go.

In addition to the old Tupperware, the containers we were using included repurposed peanut butter jars, yogurt tubs, and toffee peanut containers. Here is a picture of our old assortment:


The plastic containers we had been using.

One reason I was reluctant to change over was that I knew if I used the glass jars I wouldn’t be able to stack them. I was concerned we wouldn’t have enough space on the shelf. That worry was unnecessary as, miraculously, everything seemed to fit well. It even looks much more organized! I was able to put most items in some old glass canning jars that my parents gifted to me from my grandparents' house. I needed a larger quantity of flour and sugar on hand, so I ended up using half-gallon jars for those. 


Our dry goods moved into glass jars.

 

I am so glad I finally tackled this project. I can't believe it took me so long!  Here's to taking small steps towards healthy living, whenever and wherever you can!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Water Glassed Eggs & Homemade Butter

Fried Daisies, Yarrow Tea, and DIY Rose Oil

Garden Report - 10/9/23